Exodus Ch.12:1-20 The Passover
Intro: Exodus Ch.12 is an amazing Chapter. / In it we have the details for the instituting of the feast of Passover
- Keep in mind Israel Cruel Bondage for close to 400yrs - LORD HEARD THEIR CRIES raised up a Deliverer MOSES
- Series of Plagues Egypt was hit hard !!!!- Some Devastating Blows
- With each one Pharaoh Resisted Hardened his heart
- So God is about to deal a very direct & very deep KNOCK OUT blow to Pharaoh one that causes Him to Finally say GET OUT !!!!!!
- The death of His Son His First Born
D) But understand God warned Pharaoh of this in the Beginning read Ch. 4 : 22 "Then you shall say to Pharaoh, 'Thus says the LORD: "Israel is My son, My firstborn.
23 "So I say to you, let My son go that he may serve Me. But if you refuse to let him go, indeed I will kill your son, your firstborn."' "
- So as this story unfolds in Ch.12 it is good to keep in mind that God had warned Pharaoh Pharaoh knew what was coming
- He heard the word of the Lord but didnt Heed the word of the Lord
- Death was coming sure / Fast & Strong to Egypt but in this Chapter God outlines a Way of Escape THE BLOOD
- Briefly look at in Preparation for Communion
12:1 Now the LORD spoke to Moses and Aaron in the land of Egypt, saying,
2 "This month shall be your beginning of months; it shall be the first month of the year to you.
- Here the Lord is changing the Calendar New Beginning From now on this is going to be the Beginning of Months for you
- Previously called Abid now called NISAN
- This event would be so Radical / so Monumental Result in a Change in the Way they looked at Life ( singled a change in the Calendar Yr.)
- Now this isnt the only time that God did something to cause the Calendar to be Changed
- See when God sent forth His son into the World it caused History to be split in two Calendar was rearranged Globally
- When Jesus came Historic Calendar was Divided B.C. / And A.D. not after death but in the yr. Of our Lord
- All of History has been impacted by that event
What is interesting is that there have been attempts to change the Calendar - 1793 French Rev.
- In an attempt to Elevate Humanism and get rid of Traditional Christianity & Traditional Judaism ( from 7 to 10 day week)
- REASON: No Sunday- No Sabbath day ( that didnt work)
- But another event is coming Dan 7:25 Antichrist
- Coincides w/ what we have been studying on Sundays Let me Read
He shall speak pompous words against the Most High, Shall persecute the saints of the Most High,/
And shall intend to change times and law. TIMES CALENDAR
- Purpose will be to Eliminate the Name of Christ
Might seem far fetched but there has been talk in this past yr of a Calendar Change in light of the Y2K Situation
- Could cause a possible Calendar Change - ( Israel doesnt go by our calendar system - ( Not B.C. & A.D. )
B) Jerusalem post today Sept.1 5759 - / Calendars 5760
Now that works great for Israel but what about dealing w/ the rest of world
- Here is what they do Instead of B.C. & A.D. they use BCE = Before
Common Era & CE Common Era ( Catching on in Europe / U.S. colleges)
- So the World is being prepared for this Calendar Change But here in Exodus instituted by God !!!! NEW BEGINNIG
D) Neat Personal Application here Lives Personally marked by a New Beginning ( B.C. & In the yr. Of our Lord )
- Lives changed look at things in a whole new light now that He is our Lord
So on the 10th day of the month they were to take a Lamb in the First yr.- also be First Born the flock Lamb w/ out Blemish
Criminal Cross He has done nothing wrong
- John Declared Behold the Lamb
- Pilate find no Fault
- Judas Betrayed Innocent Blood
- Centurion : truly this must have been the Son of God
- He was the Lamb w/out Blemish !!!!!
- 'Now you shall keep it until the fourteenth day of the same month. Then the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel shall kill it at twilight.
- Now the lambs were Chosen on the 10th day & kept until the 14th day why ( inspection) Jesus road in on 10th day Nisan A.D.32
- Killed on the 14th day In-between Luke Inspected grilled by the Religious Leaders ( theologically / Ethically / Personally)
- Came through w/ Shinning Colors - !!!!! W/OUT BLEMISH
Note: v.6 TAKE IT ( All the households gathering lambs/(1000s) yet the Lord says -TAKE IT - ( Newer translations take them- wrong)
- God did this on purpose - Why pointing to His Son !!!!!
- In fact there is a Progression in v. 3-5 that perhaps you noticed
- v. 3 A LAMB / Jesus is a Lamb / v. 4 THE LAMB
- Not Just one of many saviors Religious leaders No HE IS THE LAMB
- But then in v. 5 YOUR LAMB - / Listen it is not enough to be able to say that Jesus died for the sins of the World I need to be able say Me
- His blood was shed for Me Personally appropriate / Apply
- Listen young people ( You hard to see yourself as a sinner at times)
- Need to make Jesus Your Lamb that is when Salvation happens / that is when the lights come on
Then the Lord says 7 'And they shall take some of the blood and put it on the two door posts and on the lintel( upper post) of the houses where they eat it.
v. 22 "And you shall take a bunch of hyssop, dip it in the blood that is in the basin, and strike the lintel and the two door posts with the blood that is in the basin. And none of you shall go out of the door of his house until morning.
- Basin ( built into the floor water foot washing so top bottom & sides = Cross ) AWESOME PICTURE
- Why Hyssop speaks of Humility ( Prerequisite for Salvation)
- God resist the Proud gives grace to the Humble
C) Humbly admit a sinner in need of a Savior ( SENATE PRAYER)
After applying the Blood they were TO EAT THE BODY V.8
- 'Then they shall eat the flesh on that night; roasted in fire, with unleavened bread and with bitter herbs they shall eat it.
A) Jesus said John 6: 54 "Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.
55 "For My flesh is food indeed, and My blood is drink indeed.
- "He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him.
- Referring to the fact that we have to take Him in / Invite Him into our Hearts ( Same way the lamb was to be eaten - )
- Not just observed / not only appreciated - Consumed
- Roasted in fire Fire speaks of Judgement ( Jesus bore the Judgement paid the price took the punishment for us )
- Eaten w/ unleavened Bread ( Matzo leaven ref. To sin Picture is so clear NO SIN IN HIM )
- Interesting that the Bread that they still eat to this day = stripped & has holes poked in it !!!!
- His back was stripped side / hands & feet holes
- Bitter herbs Heb. 2:9 He tasted of the Bitterness of death
v.9 'Do not eat it raw, nor boiled at all with water, Not watered down but roasted in fire; its head with its legs and its entrails.
We are to partake of all of Christ Head MIND / Legs Walk / Insides Heart
10 'You shall let none of it remain until morning, and what remains of it until morning you shall burn with fire.
11 'And thus you shall eat it: with a belt on your waist, your sandals on your feet, and your staff in your hand. So you shall eat it in haste. It is the Lord's Passover. ( Next week Picture of a Back backer )
- This is something that the communion table reminds me of though you see Jesus declared Mt 26: 29 "But I say to you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in My Father's kingdom."
- Reminds me Pilgrim This world is not Home / Jesus said same night I am going Fathers house many rooms Prepare a Place ..you
- There is room in Heaven - Vacancy sign is on !!!!
- Communion is not just Looking Back Remembrance / but it is also a LOOKING AHEAD /
12 'For I will pass through the land of Egypt on that night, and will strike all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgment: I am the LORD.
13 'Now the blood shall be a sign for you on the houses where you are. And when I see the blood, I will pass over you; and the plague shall not be on you to destroy you when I strike the land of Egypt.
Now here we see the Defining mark The Lord passes buy not concerned w/ the Value of the House / stuff in the house / Blood applied
1) Our lives personally not how pretty the outside - God sees all Looking at the Blood
B) HAD TO BE APPLIED not enough that it was SHED -
- So too us Has to be applied