Ex.15:1-21 The Song of Moses
INTRO: Set the Scene : Boxed in / God’s Deliverance / Response
Think about how this must have sounded close to 3 million people PRAISING GOD - ( what a Choir – Won’t compare Heaven)
B) first Song recorded in the Bible The Song of Moses –
Spurgeon Prayer :
May God the Holy Ghost, who dictated this song to Moses, now write it
afresh upon his people’s hearts! Breathe on us, Holy Spirit, that we also
may be filled with the praises of Jehovah.
Note a few things :
- THE TIME OF THE SONG
- There was no singing in Egypt - Ch. 2 The people sighed because of their Bondage
- Not singing but groaning / crying / - But the Bible says the Lord heard their Cry
- Nor were they Singing when BOXED IN ( Complaining )
- But when God delivered – the People sang !!! Broke forth into Praise
It is a good thing to PTL in times of Victory – give Him Honor
But it is an even Better thing – to Praise in when things are not going so well – that is when we really exercise faith !!!
Moody / woman – When I get afraid I quote: When I am afraid I will trust in thee
To Which Moody responded – I HAVE A BETTER ONE :I will trust & not be afraid
Spurgeon on this Point :
Sing in fine weather! Any bird can do that. Praising God when all goes well is common-place work. Everybody marks the nightingale above all other birds because she sings when the other minstrels of the woods are silent and asleep;. Songs in the day are from man, but God himself giveth songs in the night. O come, let us sing unto the Lord under the clouds; let us pour forth his praises in the fires! Let us praise him under depressions — Let us magnify him when our heart is heavy. Faith believes in God when there is nothing to support her but the bare promise
When doubt fills our Hearts it our suspends our singing; but when we believe in the Promise of God- when we realize it, when we get a grip of it, when we see clearly the great work that God has done for us, then we sing unto the Lord who hath for us also triumphed gloriously.
- That’s How Paul & Silas Sang in the Prison – they saw the Lord has their Deliverer even when Deliverance was not in sight
Notice 2nd the TONE OF THIS SONG !!!!
It is Enthusiastic – This was very Exuberant -
There is a Place for Praise – ( there is a Place to get excited –
Pink : Joy is the spontaneous overflowing of a heart which is occupied w/ the person & the Work of the Lord !! (spontaneous overflowing)
Interesting to me that some worship leaders who just have a very Solemn tone – ( Never Clap) Everything is somber & Sober – kind of Heavy
There is a Place for that type of seriousness – ( Meditative type of Worship – but if that is all – NOT BALANCED)
- Exhorted all through the Bible – Loud noise – let everything that has Breath Praise the Lord - Enthusiastic
- Now if that is all there is that too is out of Balance
- Proper mixture of both – OUR GUYS DO A GOOD JOB
LET’S CONSIDER NOW THE SONG ITSELF: 3 Sections
1st – v.1,2 the Lords personal Presence – He is my Strength/ Song / salvation
2nd v.3-10 THE LORD’S POWER
3RD V.11-18 THE LORD’S WONDER
1ST – PERSONAL PRESCENCE :
Then Moses and the children of Israel sang this song to the LORD, and spoke, saying: "I will sing to the LORD, For He has triumphed gloriously! The horse and its rider He has thrown into the sea!
Note first of all – Singing to the Lord / they weren’t just singing about the Lord – they were singing to the Lord
- The Word Lord appears 12 times in these 18 verses / add the personal pronouns He / Him / You / Your / = 23 Times
- The Lord’s Person is the Focal point of this song – ( Good worship tune)
- Some focus too much on us – not enough on Him !!!!
- True Worship is a Response to Who the Lord is & what He has done for us
- Expressing our Hearts to the Lord in great Gratitude
- Interesting that it says Moses Sang – ( Moses stuttered – Lord I can’t talk Which also means he might have had trouble singing –
- But that didn’t matter !!! MOSES SANG
- Make a Joyful Noise – ( The Lord is not interested in how we sound – He is interested in the Attitude of our hearts !!!)
QUOTE: 17th Century Christian - Thomas Fuller
"Lord, my voice by nature is harsh and untunable. It is vain to lavish any art to better it. Can my singing of songs be PLEASING to Thy ears which is unpleasant to mine own. Yet though I can not chant with the nightingale, nor carp with the blackbird, I had rather chatter with the swallow, yea croak with the frog, then be all together silent. Haddest Thou given me a better voice, I would praised Thee with a better voice. What my music lacks in sweetness let it have in sense, singing praises with understanding. Yea Lord, create in me a new heart therein to make melody and I will be contented with my old voice until in Thy do time, being admitted into the choir of heaven, I have another more harmonious bestowed upon me."
So they sang to the Lord – not just about Him but to Him – there was a Personal aspect to this song ( Note personal description)
The Lord is my strength ( Not the Lord is Strong – but personal ) HE IS MY STRENGTH
Israel was weak & had no Strength in & of herself – The nation was no match for Pharaoh & his Army ( Us w/ the Enemy / w/ sin & temptation)
- But by the Strength of the Lord – Israel came forth w/ a High hand & an Outstretched arm !!!!
- When strength comes out against God’s people, God meets it with his omnipotence.
1) What is Pharaoh’s strength when matched against Jehovah’s might?
- We see the Lord strength/ when we realize how weak we are
- Poor in spirit
- Corrie ten Boom – You will never realize that the Lord is all you need until the Lord is all you have !!!
Note this it doesn’t say that the Lord gives strength / but the Lord is my Strength ( Love Spurgeon says here )
How strong is a believer? I say it with reverence, he is as strong
as God — "The Lord is my strength." God, the infinite Jehovah, in the
infinity of his nature, is our strength.
Why we are told – Eph. 6 Be strong in the Lord & the power of His
Might !!! ( He is My Strength)
- Every trial every test every Battle every Situation / His grace is sufficient . his Power is made perfect weak - Glory ….. Weak Strong
- Why Because He is my Strength !!!!!!
He is also My Song !!!
There is a Connection between these two things – Divine Strength & Spiritual Song are inseparable - Neh.
The Joy of the Lord is my Strength
The Lord is the giver of our songs; he breathes the music into the hearts of his people he is the creator of their joy.
The Lord is also the subject of our songs: we sing of him and of all that he does on their behalf.
The Lord is, moreover, the object of our song: they sing unto the Lord.
- Our praise is meant for him alone.
He is my Salvation:
Not until now could Israel really say this – ( Until their enemy was rendered powerless by death – could say this ( No mention in Gen.)
Same is true for us / Because of Christ death – Enemy rendered Powerless in our Lives
- Col. Disarmed Principalities ……… triumphing over them
Ch. 14: 13 And Moses said to the people, "Do not be afraid. Stand still, and see the salvation of the LORD,
Interesting this song is repeated in parts in other places
1st Song here / last song in rev. 15 - Sing the song of Moses & of the Lamb
Standing not before the Red Sea but the Crystal Sea / not because we have been Rescued from Pharaoh – but raptured
NEED TO LEARN THIS PSALM
- Seen in part Psa. 118 –– Israel’s Deliverance from Babylon after 70yrs of captivity -
- Also Seen in Isa. 12 Sung in the Millennium
Each time it appears in ref. To Salvation
Ex.15 – Egyptians / Psa.118 – Babylonians / Rev.15 – the Trib.
Isa. 12 – the World as we know it – Crime Etc / Perfect reign
THE LORD IS MY SALVATION
C) He is my God – ( Personal - ) Father’s God – Cov. Aspect – not
talking generational thing
The LORD is my strength and song, and he is become my salvation: he is my God, and I will prepare him an habitation; my father's God, and I will exalt him.
Now Catch this Worship is not just a response to God but it is reaching out to God It is a way of reaching out to God for His touch
That is what is meant by Prepare Him a Habitation
Psa.22:3 God inhabits the Praises of His People -
Lift our Hands – Response – ( Good Play at a Game )
But also REACHING – my kids
1) Also Surrender – ( Stick up)
You are preparing a place for the Lord to dwell when you lift your Hands & Your voice in praise to God
A) Why Jesus said John 4:23
"God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth. ; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him.
Feel Far from the Lord (Instead of trying to figure out where the Lord is Try Worshipping – Let the Lord find you !!!
2nd Aspect – Lord’s power – touch on a few things
VERSE 3 - The Lord is a man of war
- To many that is offensive/ They like to think of the Lord merely as a
God of love And He is
B) They like to think of Him as a God of compassion and patience
And He is
1) But I am thankful that God is a man of war
C)Because I am convinced that there are forces that are bent upon DESTROYING me and the world around me....
1) Wipe me out spiritually
D) It's great to know that My God is a man of war
- God, who in His love will FIGHT against the enemy who wants to
bury us in the Red Sea
But also note the ease w/ which the Lord dealt w/ the Enemy
8 And with the blast of Your nostrils The waters were gathered together; The floods stood upright like a heap; The depths congealed in the heart of the sea. 9 The enemy said, 'I will pursue, I will overtake, I will divide the spoil; My desire shall be satisfied on them. I will draw my sword, My hand shall destroy them.'
10 You blew with Your wind, The sea covered them; They sank like lead in the mighty waters.
- This speaks of two things – 1st the Lord’s Anger – Nostrils flared
- But also Ease – sac religious – but – You could say that God destroyed the greatest army in the World when he blew his Nose !!!!
1) Love that -
Lastly the Lord’s Wonder –
"Who is like You, O LORD, among the gods? Who is like You, glorious in holiness, Fearful in praises, doing wonders?
Wonder in the Eyes of Israel –
Fear in the Eyes of the Enemies !!!!
- "The people will hear and be afraid; Sorrow will take hold of the inhabitants of Philistia. Then the chiefs of Edom will be dismayed; The mighty men of Moab, Trembling will take hold of them; All the inhabitants of Canaan will melt away.
- Fear and dread will fall on them; By the greatness of Your arm They will be as still as a stone, Till Your people pass over, O LORD, Till the people pass over Whom You have purchased.
Lastly note God’s Desire for us – v. 17
Not just bring us out / but bring us in & Plant us in the Land
6 As you have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him,
7 rooted and built up in Him and established in the faith, as you have been taught, abounding in it with thanksgiving.