Exodus 16:1-36 The Morning Manna
Topical Category #5 & # 25
Intro: We have been looking at the Children of Israels Journey in the Wilderness / The DESERT
Year & ½ travels - 7 Stops 7 Lessons Parallel Christian walk
1st Succoth Tent town Pilgrims
2nd Etham God guides Edge of Wilderness
3rd Red Sea Boxed in See Gods Power / Glorified
4th Marah Waters Bitter Throw in the Cross
Left off at the very end of ch. 15 / 5th Stop = Elim where there were 12 wells of water & 70 Palm trees
- What we have here is an OASIS
All the water they could drink !!!! All the Shade this was a Place of great refreshment
- Like a Retreat - ( Going up the Mountain out to Murrieta or camping - Refreshing )
Now I think it is Interesting that Elim follows Marah the Place where we throw in the Tree / SWEET ( REP. Apply the Cross- Price was Paid)
Because It is in that place where we learn to apply the Cross to those Bitter Situations and Live by that Principle
That we experience more & more of that OASIS - type of Life in the Lord REFRESHING IN THE LORD
Instead of getting all bent out of Shape & Miffed by things that have been said You throw in the Tree ( Blessed instead of Bent )
- Not my Problem it is Theres ( I am throwing in the tree )
- Carry that Attitude in life ( not just a pool but a Lifestyle so Freeing
D) My Position: People say a lot about me !!! Defensive ( Cross)
I think this is also part of what Jesus meant when He talked in John 12 in light of His going to the cross / He talked about our need to die
Only as the Seed falls to the Ground & dies & is Buried that it ends up Bearing Fruit
When we learn to Throw in the Tree We learn to die to that Tendency to defend ourselves in the Flesh
- That we experience the Fruit of the Spirit flowing from our Lives
- It is in doing that where we find ourselves having an Elim type Experience - REFRESHING
- to see & sense the Lord working in your Life in that way never imagine
- Things once would have held on too burdened by/ suddenly Free
Experience great VICTORY Didnt get the best of Me!!!!!
- See those people & You are able to Love Them & Bless them / Honestly Pray that Gods Best would occur in their lives
But as we come to Ch. 16 we find that they go from Elim the Oasis the place of RETREAT / REFRESHMENT to the Wilderness of Sin
This is such a GREAT Picture of what we Encounter All experienced the times after the RETREAT / the VICTORY - back into the real World
But it is Here in this next Stop that the Children of ISRAEL were to Discover that they cant Live on Past Refreshments
MEETING WITH the Lord
- Cant Live on the Mt. Top Experiences but they would learn the Necessity of Daily
C) THE NEED FOR THE MORNING MANNA Read v.1,2
So they leave the OASIS at Elim back on the Trail Back in the Wilderness ( day to day Grind result COMPLAINING )
That is what this world can do to you leave you complaining
Think of 101 reasons to Complain
A boy named Johnny had a dog called "Uncle Joe." When asked why he had given his pet such an odd name, he replied, "Cause he's just like that uncle of mine--he growls at everything he eats and wants to fight everyone he sees!"
University of California professor Richard McKenzie Wrote a book The Paradox of Progress / Its on the Tendency of the Baby Boomer Gen. To Complain
"Too many baby boomers are whining today, finding fault with their circumstances, while living better than kings did two centuries ago."
McKenzie says Baby boomers and baby busters are spending too much time these days feeling oppressed and victimized & tells why in his book.
These Americans are depressed and blaming their parents for the "oppression of indulgence" inflicted on them by having too much, too easily in their early years. Unlike our ancestors who were as tough as their circumstances, today's Americans complain among themselves about the imperfect situations and supposed prejudices that thwart their progress.
He analyzes all of these situations where we think we have it so Bad & sums up his Whole Point on this note
"Baby boomers, stop whining; you've never had it so good."
Now I bring this up because Complaining is so often born out of a distorted perspective in the way that we see Things-
certainly the case here v. 3
- Over exaggerate this : These guys were warped in their Perspective they thought they had it so good in Egypt
- Devil is so good at DUPPING US Forget the Kick backs
- Also getting us to see Situations that we are in Minus the Lord
- Big Mistake !!!!!! God had Delivered them from Egypt / Red Sea / Marah - Provided an OASIS in Elim
- Now they are Complaining about Provision/
- But Note v. 4,5 Love this God is not Angry at them
My Kids sometimes freaking out over something ( making a much bigger deal of it than necessary - Not angry / Amused) God w/ us
Amanda 3:30am Night my feet are asleep They will wake up in the Morning
God says here is what I am going to do Bread from Heaven
Note this : Two fold work going on here : Provision & Proving
- Provision : Manna & Quail - Miraculous
- PROVING : v.4 the people shall go out & gather a certain quota every day, that I may test them, whether they will walk in My law or not.
- The Lord says I want to see if they are going to follow instructions
Those are two Elements that are always a focus in the Christian Life
Gods Provision: Savior / Word feed us / Power
But there is always the Test : Will You live in the REALITY of the finished work of Christ
- Will depend upon my Power in your Life
Eph. 1 Pauls Prayer : v. 15-21
V. 17 Grow in our Revelation of Christ - & the application of that Knowledge so that we would Understand
Our calling in Christ / Our Inheritance in Christ / And that Power of God that is at Work in us through Christ ( Know by Experience)
Exceedingly Great Surpasses our Comprehension
Working - ( ENERGY) not Static or Potential
Mighty Strong overcoming any Resistance
- Characterizes it by that which brought Christ out of the Grave
- Paul says: I want you to Know this : Praying that this would become such a reality in your Life that you would walk in this Power
But later on in the Book He gives a list of things that can Quench that flow of Power / that work of the Spirit in our Lives
Things that we do that our Outside the Realm of Word of God for our lives / SIT / KEY EXPERIENCING WALK & STAND
Lying / Anger / Corrupt speech / Sexual immorality etc
- All those things stop the flow of the work of the spirit in our lives
1) Provision is there !!!! Proving Will we seek the Lord & not follow after the tendencies & appetites of the flesh
Back to Exodus v.6-22
Take the remainder of the night to discuss the manna the need for the daily nourishment from the Lord
The Manna Which the Lord Provided for the Children of Israel is a Beautiful type of the Word of God is How ? 8 things
#1 The Manna was a Supernatural gift v.4 "Behold, I will rain bread from heaven for you.
v.16 Gather an omer -
A) An omer Is approximately 6 pints
An omer was present EVERY morning for EVERY man
B) If there were 2 million people that left Egypt
= 12 million pints of Manna each morning = 9 million Lbs = 4,500 tons
C) Equivalent 10 trains of 30 box cars if each box car held 15 tons
- EVERY morning that amount was on the ground WAITING for them
- Supernatural Provision
The Word of God has also come to us by Supernatural Provision
2Tim.3: 16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,
- that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every
- Make up of the Bible - 1500yrs / 40 / 3 Lang. / 3 Continents
- It is a Gift from God ( Gods Love Letter to us )
- Heb. Supernatural power Living & Powerful It has the ability to transform our Lives
'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.'"
- Spiritual food it feeds our Spirits /
#2 The Man was small in size v.14 And when the layer of dew lifted, there, on the surface of the wilderness, was a small round substance
So too the Word of God small
who would think that a complete and perfect Revelation from God & of God could be comprised w/ in a Comparatively small Volume
- It is not all there is to Know But it is all that I need to know !!!!
#3 The Manna was White in its Color v.31
White is a Symbol of purity ( emphasizes the absolute Purity of the word of God
Psa.12: 6 The words of the LORD are pure words, Like silver tried in a furnace of earth, Purified seven times.
Psa. 119:140 Your word is very pure; Therefore Your servant loves it.
Prov.30:5 Every word of God is Pure
It is Inherent w/out error no mistakes
# 4 The Manna was to be Eaten :
The manna wasnt given simply to be looked at & admired but it was to be Eaten / it was to Provide Nourishment
This really is the central point in the comparison of the Manna w/ that of the Word The Word of God is meant to Provide food for our souls / Spirits
I have here in my hand tonight a very old Bible this Bible is almost 100 yrs old.
the age of this Bible makes wonder who owned it / how were they affected by it
Was it a Gift ? Or was it a Personal Purchase w/ the Hope that through the study of Gods Word his life would be affected & Changed
Now as much as the age of this Bible really does Intrigue me / I want you to know that its appearance really disappoints me !!!!
- Intriguing & Interesting to me
1) Aside from this ripped Zipper this Bible is still really Intact
Although it may have been purchased w/ the intent to study / there are no verses Highlighted there are no verses underlined No little notes taken
if this Bible was ever really read / ever really studied
- Leads me to wonder
Makes me wonder : was there a Promise that God wanted to impart to the person who owned this Bible that was never really found Because he NEVER REALLY OPENED THE BOOK ?
- Was there some kind of Comfort that the Lord wanted to give to this same Person
comfort was never really experienced because - he NEVER
- But that
REALLY OPENED THE BOOK ?
Word of Encouragement that God wanted to Deliver to the Person who owned this Bible
- Was there a
1)But they were never really encouraged Because they NEVER
REALLY OPENED THE BOOK ?
Gods Word is our Spiritual manna given to Provide food for our souls
Need to learn the Proper way to feed on it
- Just like w/ Eating : Appropriation / Mastication / Assimilation
APPROPRIATION 2 THINGS
1) Take a Portion - Where do I begin - ( Pick a Book )
2) Make it our Own ( Ex. In Salvation My Savior / My Sins
- W/ the Word Promises Principles - Appropriate them so that they become a Part of my life
- T. / T.P. Tried & Proven
- This is a Key aspect of Bible Study Not just Knowledge but realizing that the scriptures are for me Personally
Jer. 15:16 16 Your words were found, and I ate them, And Your word was to me the joy and rejoicing of my heart;
2nd MASTICATION : Chew it up /
A) Important eating Physically - digestion
B)Spiritually likened to MEDITATION
- Chew on it Mull it over
Psa 1:1 Blessed is the man Who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, Nor stands in the path of sinners, Nor sits in the seat of the scornful;
- But his delight is in the law of the LORD, And in His law he meditates day and night. 3 He shall be like a tree Planted by the rivers of water, That brings forth its fruit in its season, Whose leaf also shall not wither; And whatever he does shall prosper.
- Pondering / Journaling / asking Questions
3rd ASSIMILATION :
Physically speaking the food that I eat is digested & is taken into my system / then transmuted into blood & tissue
The Food thus Assimilated Produces Energy & Strength
- Puts a Spring in my Step / Helps ward off Disease
- The Same is true of the Word as I put it into Practice / as I meditate upon it / The Word becomes a part of my Life
- Becomes incorporated into my Life
- Sick We pray / Worry Pray !!!!!
- Whatever the situation Apply the Word
- Adds Vigor to my Face & Spring in my Step
Whatever you do in word or Deed do all
- Aaron -
F) He applied that to a couple of Situations - DID GREAT
#5 Manna was to be gathered each Morning v.13/14
Couldnt gather enough for 2 days
Not Yesterdays Manna the Word
- DAILY THING
A) Psa. 63:1 O God, You are my God; Early will I seek You; My soul thirsts for You; My flesh longs for You In a dry and thirsty land Where there is no water.
Jesus - Mrk 1
Isa. 50: 4 "The Lord GOD has given Me The tongue of the learned, That I should know how to speak A word in season to him who is weary. He awakens Me morning by morning, He awakens My ear To hear as the learned.
Not a Legalist thing : Practical reality if I dont spend that time w/ the Lord in the morning it gets eaten up by the Heat of the day !!!
- I can have all the intentions in the World for having Lunch time Devotions / or Evening time w/ the Lord
- But too often it never happens MORNINGS ARE A KEY
# 6 Manna was Obtained by Labor
John 6: 27 "Do not labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to everlasting life,
Labor of Love Labor to Discipline / to concentrate
- To Mine the Truths / to dig / to ponder
#7 The Labor involved Stooping :
Great Picture of the Role that Prayer plays in coming to the Word
Prayer & Humility - Where go in you are the words of Eternal life
#8 What was gathered was to be used !!!
A) Covered w/ Appropriation & Assimilation - BUT note if not used it stinks
B)Same is true w/ me not used Cynical Critical that study stank
C) But if I apply it use it / what you gather give back out
1) Sunday School / Jail/ home study work study