Ex. 20 Intro to the Law
Intro: Tonight we are going to begin a somewhat in-depth look at the Ten Commandments
Now there is a LOT OF CONFUSION TODAY concerning the Law
B) Are we supposed to give heed to the law ? Arent we FREED from the
we under Grace ? Are we still supposed to keep the Law ? / Bring us into Legalism
- Now that we are saved arent
Law is divided into two Components / Law of God & Law of Moses
- When talking about the Law is first of all important to realize that the
First of all, there is THE LAW OF GOD
It is ETERNAL.. It is UNCHANGING.... and it is BINDING upon ALL
MEN / at ALL TIMES .
It APPLIES to all mankind throughout ALL of history / We find
THE LAW OF GOD here in Exodus 20:3-17
B) THEN There is also what is called the LAW OF MOSES
It deals with the CEREMONIAL and CIVIL aspects of the national
life of Israel / Found in Ex. 21-23 & Leviticus
C) It is APPLICABLE to and BINDING to the Israelites
- So You MUST make this distinction between THE LAW OF GOD.....
The 10 Commandments... and the LAW OF MOSES
1) Does the Word of God make that distinction? YES
In Romans 7 Paul is speaking specifically about the LAW OF GOD
How he wrestled w/ the Commandments
But in John 7 JESUS makes ref. To the Law of Moses
Circumcision being a component of the Law of Moses
Acts 15 Dispute over Circumcision Part of the Law of Moses
5But some of the sect of the Pharisees who believed rose up, saying, "It is necessary to circumcise them, & to command them to keep the law of Moses."
CONCLUSION WAS MADE Dont worry about Circumcision saved the same way we were By Grace through Faith
- Here are some guidelines Practically - abstain from things offered to idols, from blood, from things strangled, and from sexual immorality
D) If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well.
So the Scriptures make a Distinction
And IF you don't get this distinction down, THEN you will read the Old Testament & become completely CONFUSED about what is applicable to each of us today, and that which is NOT
NOTE ALSO the differences between the LAW OF GOD and the LAW OF MOSES
1.) The LAW OF GOD was given AUDIBLY / FROM MT.
Everyone heard it is God proclaimed it from Mt. Sinai
The LAW OF MOSES was given PRIVATELY -only to Moses who
communicated to the people what was said
1) Inspired by the Lord but given Privately
2.) The LAW OF GOD was written DIRECTLY with the finger of God upon the tables of stone
A) The LAW OF MOSES was dictated from God to Moses and he himself committed it to writing
3.) The LAW OF GOD was miraculously PRESERVED UNIQUELY in the Ark of the Covenant
While the LAW OF MOSES was NOT to be kept in the Ark of the
So the law of God is ETERNAL.. It is UNCHANGING.... and it is BINDING upon ALL MEN / at ALL TIMES .
1)The Law of Moses is the CEREMONIAL and CIVIL aspects of the
national life of Israel
Why study the Law of Moses - if for Israel what matter to us ?
- Provide some neat Insight & Application for our lives / and it provides in the Festivals & Ordinances Wonderful Pictures JESUS
- Plus When Jesus returns and establishes His millennial rule upon the earth
from Jerusalem, we are told that Jesus will re-enforce the Law of Moses
1) Isa. 2:3
So the Law of God is applicable to us even as Believers in what Way?
It is the Measure of Gods Righteousness it is the Ruler
The Law was never given as a way of salvation for either Jews or Gentiles because
By the works of the Law no flesh shall be JUSTIFIED Gal. 2:16
But the Law reveals the Righteousness of God !!! This is what Righteousness looks like
Law is like a Mirror that reveals where you are dirty / Think about how dirty we have become as a NATION
- So the
- Now here is what is interesting : In 1980 Law out of the Schools
- We dont want to look at this - You can get real dirty if never look in the Mirror
Jesus said in the last days 2And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold
The Law of God is the Measuring Stick Gods Righteousness
- We are living in those times all the Problems that we see in our Country forsaken the Law of God .
- READING IN ISA. sounds a lot like our country !!!!!
- Reveals for us the Sanctity of Worship- One God / We said many gods now we are gods
- NO IMAGES / IDOLS we have plenty
LAW Reveals the Sanctity of Marriage No Adultery
Major problem - in & out of the Church the Moral compass has been taken away that is not important TED TURNER / JANE FONDA
The Law reveals the Sanctity of Life Murder
Most violent nation on the face of the Planet
The LAW of God reveals Sanctity of Friendship - No Coveting or stealing
- People today total disregard for other Human beings / I am the only one who matters
D) The LAW Sanctity of TRUTH not bear false Witness
- Nation that ignores truth ( What is a Lie )
No Absolutes -
- Law of God Reveals the SANCTITY OF FAMILY - Honor your father & Mother
- Witnessed the Break down of the American Family
So the Law of God has Huge implications for us Socially / but Also Spiritually
Paul declared that the Purpose of the Law was to Drive us to Christ
School master show us our need of a Savior a MIRROR to show us how dirty we are & that we needed washing
Law of the Lord is perfect converting
.. / The law is perfect but we are not !!!! Cant keep it NEED A SAVIOR
- Now does that mean that the once we get saved the law is no longer Necessary ?
- Once we come to Christ the law no longer serves as a means for seeking to achieve Positional righteousness before God
- See Paul declared in Rom. 3:21 now there is available a Righteousness of God that is apart from the Law THRU FAITH IN CHRIST
- IMPUTED RIGTHEOUSNESS / - His righteousness put to my Account the Moment I believe - JUSTIFIED
So the Purpose of the Law is to DRIVE US to Christ -
But once we are saved the Purpose of the Law is to DIRECT US IN CHRIST
We are Positionally righteous through our Faith in the work of Christ on the Cross
But the Lord is seeking to make us Righteous through the work of His Spirit w/ in !!!!!
C) Matt. 5: Jesus said
17"Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. 18For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.
He fulfilled the law completely Perfect man
But He is still desiring to fulfill the Law How in us / Lives in our Hearts & through our Lives
The Lord wants us to walk in righteousness
- That is why we are commanded to be Holy
that is the very work He is committed to doing in our lives through His Spirit NEW COV
Jer. 31:31 / Ezk .36 :26
So when we read the 10 Commandments we get some insight into what the H.S. is seeking to do in our lives
To make us people who only Worship One thing The Lord the true & living God
In other words He wants our Passion & affection to be singular
- we can enjoy other things / beach / nature / food/ hobbies
- But our Passion / Pursuit / Affection/ Adoration is to be singled out for the Lord alone !!!!
He wants us to be people who are not into images / Idols
But who are storing up treasure in heaven
He wants us to be people who honor the name of the Lord / who revere it
He wants us to be people who keep a Sabbath day ( day set aside for the Lord contemplate Worship
He wants us to be people who respect family -
1) respect & honor Marriage / Life & others
He wants us to be People of Integrity speak & walk the truth
- People whos word can be trusted
So the 10 commandments can really be a Barometer for how we are growing in the Lord
Jesus summed up all in these two statements
"You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. 38This is the first and great commandment. 39And the second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. 40On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets."
We Love the Lord - God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.
Worship Him / Serve Him / everything else is the response to that
I treat others right in love because of the love that he has shown to me