" Luke 4:31-44 Oh What a Day "
The Johnson Family was on their way for the start of vacation- Dad, Mom, & the two boys were about 200 miles into their trip, when Dad had enough!
"Ever since we left home," he said, "you boys have been picking on each other, yelling names & tearing up the back seat of the car. I am putting an end to this now!"
He slammed on the brakes, pulled the car off to the side of the road, took both his sons out of the car and spanked them both soundly. "I don't want to hear one word out of either of you for next 30 minutes,"- , "not one word!" Well The two boys sat still and quiet for at least 30 minutes until the youngest one meekly said,
"Daddy, do you remember when you spanked me backed there ? Well, one of my shoes came off...!"
A) Have you ever had one of those days - You know the ones where everything seems to go wrong
- Or one of those days where there seems to be so much on your plate that you have no idea how you will accomplish it all
- As the day progresses on ward it only seems to get fuller - tougher!
- Being a man / Jesus too had such days - and in the passage before us her in
Lukeís gospel we see a full day in the life of Christ.
- It was a very eventful day - a day in which a lot of ministry took place & a lot of needs were presented -
C)A day that might have left many of us wiped out & done in. A day that may
have - brought us to the place of losing perspective
- But not Jesus - & here we are given some insight into why Jesus led such a focused life / never see Him frazzled or stressed out / why ?
In this section Jesus is seen in 4 places - 4 scenes that are important for us to see Him in today as well
The 1st place where Jesus is seen is in Church! The day begins w/ - Him teaching in the synagogue in the city of Capernaum.
A) Capernaum was on the Northwest shores of the Sea of Galilee
- Josephus said that there were over 200 cities in Galilee with populations OVER 10,000
- That means that the area of Galilee had a population of about 3 million
Capernaum was one of the main cities in that area /
So we see that Jesus is in the synagogue in Capernaum on the Sabbath day - told in v. 16 that this was his custom or his habit - Sabbath -
- I think it is interesting & a good example to us that even Jesus made it His
habit to be in fellowship
B) When the Sabbath day rolled around each week - He was in Church.
- There is something to be said about that I think - because there are those who say I donít need to go to church - worship on golf course
- I can worship while Iím catching waves - or out on a hike - or washing
my car - ( Some truth to that/ - you can worship in those places )
1) Truth is many really donít - most donít
So why do we need to go to church?
Iíll give you two quick reasons - #1 Because Jesus did - He made it His custom His priority to be in the Synagogue on the Sabbath
- So if that was the pattern for Jesus that should also be the pattern for my life and your life as well
#2 Because Jesus tells us to Heb. 10: 24,25 And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.
The approaching day is in ref. To the last days / - so because we are living in the last days - even more priority)
- Be in fellowship - purpose to stir up each other to love & good works encouraging one another
- Like coals in a fire - together we burn bright especially when stirred up
- / something special takes place when we are together here./ but alone - fires goes out ! So donít forsake assembling !
Now what is Jesus doing in Synagogue ? Teaching! Priority on the word
- And Luke tells us in v. 32 that the people were astonished at his teaching because His word was w/ authority
- Jesus taught in a way that was different from the Pharisees Sadducees & Scribes -
- In Naz. They marveled at the gracious words that he spoke - that itself was different - /for the religious leaders of the day heaped burdens
- Under their teaching the people were spiritually sick / Like many today - God is angry & upset w/ you -
Cc) So in Naz. They marveled at the gracious words that He spoke
- And here in Capernaum - they were astonished at the authority w/ which he spoke !
- Jesus spoke w/ such a conviction concerning the word of God that it penetrated the hearts & minds of the people deeply.
- He wasnít just - speaking about things he had learned, read or heard from someone else - He was the author of these words.
- Like the Scribes Jesus quoted Moses - but when Jesus quoted Moses - we have to remember that He told Moses what to write!
He spoke w/ an authority that the people had never heard before.
- You recall how later on His enemies would send some officers to arrest Him but the men returned w/ out Him - questioned where He was
- Responded - No one has ever spoke like this man before
- There was something so compelling about the message of our Lord that it moved even the hearts of His enemies !
- His word was w/ Power ! It was not only the power of His Deity it was also the power of the H.S.,
- for our Lord Jesus chose as a man on the earth to not act according to the power of His Deity but to be led by the H.S.
D) So in the Power of the H.S. He spoke - / Same reason our teaching can be w/ power today - when it is by the HS .
- So there was this incredible - authority w/ which he spoke that was very noticeable & different.
- Authority of absolute truth - which is why we need to pay such close attention to what He says !
Now While Jesus was teaching there was a disturbance that took place in the meeting . v. 33 Now in the synagogue there was a man who had a spirit of an unclean demon. And he cried out with a loud voice,
34 saying, "Let us alone! What have we to do with You, Jesus of Nazareth? Did You come to destroy us? I know who You are; the Holy One of God!"
So There was a man w/ an unclean Spirit - a demon. - The word unclean - speaks of filthiness & beastliness .
- It is interesting to note that Jesus never went looking for Demons - but where ever Jesus is the Demons get restless & suddenly expose themselves
- Demon possession and oppression are very real things !
- Demons are fallen Angels - like Lucifer - when he was cast out of Heaven told 1/3 of the angels w/ him. Devil & his demons
- Now Although Demon possession is real - I think the Church today is suffering from Demon - obsession.
- Much of the Church today is focused on Demons / talking about / books are written on the subject of Demons & Satan.
- Unfortunately one thing that does is get peoples eyes off of Jesus & on to the enemy - which is scripturally the wrong thing to do!
- When people get so focused on the enemy they are no longer walking in the Light!
Listen The way to overcome the darkness is not by trying to deal w/ the darkness Shout / rebuke / seminars ?
A) Go into a dark room - what do you do ? YOU TURN ON THE LIGHT
- Light & darkness cannot Dwell together in the same place at the same time
- Container is either going to be lit - or dark - canít be both
- That is why those who say Christians can be demon possessed are so wrong - because - Satan or a Demon cannot dwell in you if Jesus the light of the world is living in your heart
- 1JN 1:5 God is light and in Him is no darkness at all.
- Rev. 3:20 Behold I stand at the door & knock ÖÖ come in & sup - fellowship w/ Him
- Yet in 2 Cor 6: 14 Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness? And what accord has Christ with the Devil
- The Answer is NONE - NO FELLOWSHIP WHAT SO EVER !
Guys we just need to keep the focus on Jesus at walk w/ Him in the light
So Jesus goes into the darkness & teaches and the Demons expose themselves
- He deals w/ them directly , swiftly & Powerfully !
35 But Jesus rebuked him, saying, "Be quiet, and come out of him!" And when the demon had thrown him in their midst, it came out of him and did not hurt him.
B) Interesting to note the Demons words - INTERESTING PLEA - Let us
alone; Isn't that always the plea of Satan?
C) Let us alone... Let us do our thing.... Don't tell us that we are wrong...
that this is a sin
- then they said what have we to do with You Jesus of Nazareth? Did you come to destroy us?
- Answer was THEY had nothing to do with Jesus, but He had plenty
to do with them
E) 1John 3:8 For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
Heb. 2:14 For as much then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;
These Demons did recognize that ULTIMATELY Jesus came to destroy the works of the devil/ but They did NOT know when that would be
A) So they said: Let us alone
- Also worth noting that They KNEW and recognized the authority of Jesus I know who you are You are the Holy one of God .
- Good reminder that knowing about Jesus & actually knowing Him
are two different things
- It is possible to KNOW the truth and yet not have it have any influence
over our hearts and wills
1) To be in that place is to be no different than the demons
D) Guys NEVER be content to say: "I know that"
- Does your knowledge of sin make you HATE it? And Does your knowledge of Jesus make you LOVE Him?
E) See knowledge without fruit will only add to a persons condemnation
The next Place that we see Jesus is in the Home of Peter ! v.38 Now He arose from the synagogue and entered Simon's house. But Simon's wife's mother was sick with a high fever, and they made request of Him concerning her.
39 So He stood over her and rebuked the fever, and it left her. And immediately she arose and served them.
- Now this is a good thing to note that when Peter left from Church that morning he took Jesus home w/ Him !
- Important thing to practice - take Jesus Home - Donít just let this place be the place where you meet w/ Jesus - take Him home
- Now when they get there find out that Peters mother in-law was sick w/ a fever - Guys that is so typical
- - you leave Church & no sooner do you get home do you find there are ferverish trials, Hot problems fiery difficulties that await
- Peter had the solution - He took Jesus home w/ Him !
- Go Home today - take Jesus home w/ you talk about Him - talk w/ Him .
D) One brother - shared w/ me - last few Sundays - lunch - family dissect the study - AMEN - BEREANS
Now there are some other things we can learn from this little episode
- 1st We are told that when Jesus came into the house that they made request of Him - because Peters mother was sick
- The word request is Besought in the KJV it is a word that speaks of an urgency, a fervency & an intensity.
- I was convicting as I read this because there are so many times that I my prayer life is void of those things .
- An Urgency - a fervency & a intensity- yet that is how we are instructed to Pray ! Jesus story of the persistent friend
9 "So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 10 "For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.
D) The Implication is keep on asking keep on knocking keep on seeking
- 2nd Notice that As they sought Him in this way that it says v39 He stood over her and rebuked the fever,
- It is a great comfort to note that in answer to prayer that Jesus comes & stands by us & over us .
3rd notice that Jesus rebuked the fever & it left her !
- Word rebuked is the same word used in ref. To the Demon - Jesus rebuked the Demon - and it left He rebuked the fever & it Left
- Here we see His authority over the Demonic world as well as over sickness
C) And that The event in the synagogue and here in Peter's house tell us that Jesus is God's remedy for every evil that sin has brought into the world
D) He is the remedy for the damning and destructive influences of Satan in the life of an individual Ironside
Lastly we see that she got up after this & served them
- We are told that immediately she arose and ministered unto them.
- This is quite natural when one has experienced the delivering power of our Lord Jesus Christ.
- How the heart delights then to do something for Him and for others.
- This woman no sooner is healed, no sooner realizes that she is well, than she says, "Now, I want to serve Him who has done this thing for me, and I want to serve those who are dear to Him and to me."
Have you felt a touch of His healing hand? Has His voice rebuked the fever of sin that once raged in your very being? Is it your delight now to serve Him? Are you among those who are glad not only to avail themselves of His delivering power, but are now concerned about giving Him the service of a grateful heart? Are you putting yourself out for the blessing of other people?
So we have seen Jesus in Church in the morning , teaching w/ Authority & exercising authority over Demons
- Seen Him in the afternoon in the Home - at the Bed side of one who is sick - responding to fervent prayers & exercising authority over sickness
40 When the sun was setting, all those who had any that were sick with various diseases brought them to Him; and He laid His hands on every one of them and healed them.
The news of what took place in the Synagogue - spread & people were lined up outside the house - all those who were sick with various diseases
- Next Place that we see Jesus is in the Streets at evening time v.
Jesus went out to minister to them - and note v. 40 and He laid His hands on every one of them and healed them. Every single one !
- Good thing for us to note this morning is our need to take Jesus to the Streets / Street witnessing / our houses /
- Into the park - / over at the amphitheater /
- Sometimes we can make the mistake that we always need to get people here ! Sometimes we first need to take Jesus to them.
Really What is Jesus doing here ? Put it simply - He is Blessing people / ministering to people / serving them . HEY I CAN DO THAT !!!!!
- So donít just take Jesus home w/ you today but Take Jesus to work w/ you tomorrow -
- and bless people w/ your attitude & work ethic - the way you deal w/
- Take Jesus w/ you when you go into the grocery store - being kind & courteous to the clerk - Ask them if their having a good day
- Something different about this person - see the scripture on your check
- Take Jesus w/ you when you go out to Lunch today - Leave the waitress a big tip & write her a little note & tell her thanks for doing a good job
- Waitresses donít like the Church crowds - demanding - lot of Kids & lousy tippers - ( See you pray - Oh no some of them.) Be different
41 And demons also came out of many, crying out and saying, "You are the Christ, the Son of God!" And He, rebuking them, did not allow them to speak, for they knew that He was the Christ.
Notice Jesus rebuked these Demons and didnít allow them to speak because - he didnít want the devil for His PR men !
WHAT A DAY!!!!!! -
- Teaching in the morning... Casting out demons.... Ministering in the afternoon in Peters home...
B) Then Laying hands on the sick as they just keep coming and coming on into the evening !
- HOW do you keep up such a pace? W/out getting frazzled and stressed out / overwhelmed by the needs & the demands
C) The closing verses give us the KEY Luke 4: 42 Now when it was day, He departed and went into a deserted place. And the crowd sought Him and came to Him, and tried to keep Him from leaving them; but He said to them, "I must preach the kingdom of God to the other cities also, because for this purpose I have been sent." 44 And He was preaching in the synagogues of Galilee.
Mark gives us further insight into this moment
Mark 1:35-38 35 Now in the morning, having risen a long while before daylight, He went out and departed to a solitary place; and there He prayed.
36 And Simon and those who were with Him searched for Him.
37 When they found Him, they said to Him, "Everyone is looking for You."
38 But He said to them, "Let us go into the next towns, that I may preach there also, because for this purpose I have come forth."
- After a day like this The natural man would be prone to say: Let's sleep in... You need your strength THAT is true....
1) But the key to getting your strength is found in getting alone with God
Isa. 40:31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
-- Charles Spurgeon
The morning is the gate of the day, and it should be well guarded with prayer. It is one end of the thread on which the day's actions are strung, and should be well knotted with devotion. If we felt the majesty of life we should be more careful of its mornings. He who rushes from his bed to his business and waiteth not to worship is as foolish as though he had not put on his clothes, or cleansed his face, and as unwise as though he had dashed into battle without weapons or armor. Be it ours to bathe in the softly flowing river of communion with God, before the heat of the wilderness and the burden of the way begins to oppress.
The People come saying to Jesus everyone is looking for you - everyone wants you - CNN - ABC -
- Jesus says it is time to move on for this reason I have come forth -
1) Campell Morgan - from the secret place
- Jesus wasnít swayed by popularity - nor was He driven by need !
- Two problems we can face - everyone is calling
- Or the needs are so great - But what does God want you to do & how do you find that out ?
- In the secret place - in the morning hr. - in that time before the sun comes up when you can seek the Lord
- Lord woke me up at 3:00am yesterday - heart was burden for some people
- Pray - offered direction
- When everyone was looking for Jesus after the Sabbath, they found him praying.
- That was the secret of his life which kept him from giving into the whims of every group.
F) Pressured by the needs & Demands / caught up in the popularity
We know that our churches, homes, and society are filled with physically, emotionally, and spiritually sick people.
- We should also know that we are not the savior of the world, but we are servants of the risen and living Lord!
- And that He desires to use us to ministers to our world - but in order to truly be effective - we need to be Led
C) Meet w/ Jesus in the secret place - pray for direction - family - for ministry -