Luke 6:1-11 Jesus the Lord of the Sabbath
Intro: We saw in our study last time where Jesus was questioned why His disciples were not fasting like the Pharisees
Jesus responded very simply - Now was not the time for fasting - because he was w/ them. - Using the analogy of a wedding He said in v. 34 of ch.5
- 34 "Can you make the friends of the bridegroom fast while the bridegroom is with them?
- By using this analogy Jesus in essence was saying that He came to make life like a festival & a feast - not a fast or a funeral.
- Then He preceded to explain that He had come to do something New ! He had not come to patch up the old religious system. -
- He didnít come to reform their old traditions - Entirely New thing !
NEW WINE INTO NEW WINE SKINS
- Then He gave a warning - that even though He was doing something New people would still have the tendency to hold onto the old.
- To stay w/ that which was comfortable & familiar - those old traditions - He said in v. 39
39 "And no one, having drunk old wine, immediately desires new; for he says, 'The old is better.'"
F)That mentality that says We have always done it this way. - We have always thought in this manner - Donít want to Change
BUT JESUS CAME TO BRING A REVOLUTION
- He would turn tables upside down because He desires that we would come into New Cov. Where there is feasting - where salvation is celebrated.
B)He came to blow away the idea of the Pharisees that misery & spirituality
go hand in hand.
- Jesus said - I have come that you might have life and that more Ö..
- And the more that Jesus attacked the man-made rabbinical tradition, the more the leaders of that religion attacked Him.
- And One of the primary causes for opposition centered on observance of the Sabbath, the problem with which our present text deals. Read v. 1-11
Taking notes 5 things we want to make note of this morning in this passage .
1st - How the man made traditions had caused the Sabbath day to become abused .
2nd What was Godís original plan for the Sabbath
3rd Want to look at what the Sabbath day prefigured - picture of .
4th That true wisdom means more than Being learned.
1st - How the man made traditions had caused the Sabbath day to become abused
A) Sabbath observance was at the heart of the Jewish legalistic system,
- Both the English Sabbath and the Greek sabbaton transliterate the Heb. shabbat, which has the basic meaning of ceasing, rest, and inactivity.
- At the end of creation "God blessed the 7th day & sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work He had made"
- In honor of that day, the Lord declared it to be a special time of rest and remembrance for His people and incorporated its observance into the requirements of the Ten Commandments (Ex. 20:9-11).
- God wanted His people to have a day of rest - day set aside for worship & relaxation -
But most Jews had little idea of the original purpose of the Sabbath or of how God intended it to be honored.
- Instead of being a day of rest it had become a day of incredible burden. Because of the thousands of man-made restrictions regarding it,
- The Sabbath was more tiresome than the six days devoted to oneís occupation. Been said It was harder to "rest" than to earn a living.
- Jewish tradition had even caused the Sabbath to be dangerous. In The apocryphal book of 1 Maccabees book on Jewish History Ch.2
- It tells of an incident during the time of Judas Maccabaeus when a group of Jews refused to defend themselves on the Sabbath against the Greek army led by Antiochus Epiphanes.
As the soldiers of Antiochus attacked, the Jews wouldnít fight back because it was the Sabbath day. but said: ĎLet us die in our innocency: heaven and earth shall testify for us, that ye put us to death wrongfully.í
1000 people were killed - including women & Children
In his Antiquities, the, Jewish historian Josephus reports that it was also because Jews would not defend themselves on the Sabbath that the Roman general Pompey was able to capture Jerusalem.
- In One section of the Talmud, a book on Jewish tradition, it has twenty-four chapters listing Sabbath laws.
- One law specified that the basic limit for travel was 3,000 feet from oneís house;
B) but various exceptions were provided. If you had placed some food within 3,000 feet of your house, you could go there to eat it; and because the food was considered an extension of the house, you could then go another 3,000 ft
C) .If a rope were placed across an adjoining street or alley, the building on
the other side, , could be considered part of your house.
1)Under Sabbath regulations, a Jew could not carry a load heavier than a
- Throwing an object into the air with one hand and catching it with the
other was prohibited.
Nothing could be bought or sold, and clothing could not be dyed, washed or sewn. A letter could not be sent.
- A fire could not be lit or extinguished-including fire for a lamp-but a fire already lit could be used within certain limits.
B)For that reason, some orthodox Jews today use automatic timers to turn on
lights in their homes well before the Sabbath begins.
1)Otherwise they might forget to turn them on in time and have to spend
the night in the dark.
- Baths could not be taken for fear some of the water might spill onto the floor and "wash" it. = WORK
- a woman was not to look in a mirror lest she see a gray hair and be tempted to pull it out.
- And false teeth could not be worn because they exceeded the weight limit
for carrying burdens.
- If a person became ill on the Sabbath, only enough treatment could be given to keep him alive.
1)Treatment to make him improve was declared to be work, and
So W/ all these man made regulations The Sabbath had become a time of oppressive frustration and anxiety & anything but a time of rest.
Now according to the Mosiac law Ex. 34:21 it was not lawful to harvest on the Sabbath day.
21 "Six days you shall work, but on the seventh day you shall rest; in plowing time and in harvest you shall rest.
- Rabbinic tradition, however, had ridiculously interpreted the rubbing of grain together in the as a form of threshing;
1)and they regarded blowing away the chaff as a form of winnowing.
This is what the Pharisees were upset w/ Jesus about. Behold your disciples do what is not lawful to do on the Sabbath.
- Jesus takes them to the word - back to a familiar passage in the O.T. of an
event in the life of David.
3 But Jesus answering them said, "Have you not even read this, what David did when he was hungry, he and those who were with him: 4 "how he went into the house of God, took and ate the showbread, and also gave some to those with him, which is not lawful for any but the priests to eat?" 5 And He said to them, "The Son of Man is also Lord of the Sabbath."
David was the supreme hero of Judaism, loved and honored even above the patriarchs and prophets.
- He was the great king, poet, and warrior. Who when fleeing from King Saul came to Nob, where the Tabernacle was then located,
- It was there David asked for food. The only food available that day in the Tab. Was the consecrated bread of the show Bread
- It was not lawful for him to eat, nor for those with him, but for
the priests alone,
- That bread that was in the Holy Place was baked weekly, and each Sabbath twelve fresh loaves (representing the twelve tribes)
- were made & the priest were allowed to eat the old loaves
- On that particular occasion, however, an exception was made on behalf of David and his men, who were weak from hunger.
1)God was not offended by that act, and He did not discipline either
Ahimelech or David.
Jesusí point was that David ate because He had need - and Human need always has precedence over religious tradition
- Better that David and his men receive strength to serve God than that they perish only for the sake of a temporary law
- The argument is reasonable: if a hungry king and his men were permitted to eat the holy bread from the tabernacle
1)then it was right for the Lord of the Sabbath to permit His men to eat
the grain from His fields.
- David broke a definite law given by Moses, for the showbread was for the priests only (Lev. 24:5-9);
- but the disciples had violated only a man-made tradition.
- God is surely more concerned with meeting the needs of people than He is
with protecting religious tradition
Brings us to our 2nd Point What was the Purpose of the Sabbath
- In Mark Ch. 2:27 The Sabbath was made for man not man for the Sabbath.
- God gave the Sabbath to Israel for several reasons. For one thing, it
provided needed rest and refreshment for the people, animals, and the land.
- the weekly Sabbath reminded the Jews that Jehovah God was the Creator and they were but stewards of His generous gifts.
- The Lord also ordained Sabbath years and the Year of Jubilee to keep the Jews from exploiting the land and impoverishing it (Lev. 25).
- The Sabbath was also a special sign between God and His people Israel
- Other people might work on the 7th day and treat it like any other day,
- but the Israelites rested on the 7th day, giving witness that they belonged
to the Lord
In Matt. Account of this story here in Luke - Jesus says that the Lord desires Mercy & not sacrifice -
- Mercy means not getting what you do deserve . And at the heart of mercy is relationship.
- This is what this day spoke of was that the Jews had a Covenant relationship w/ the Lord.
- But the Sabbath day pointed to another time , another rest & another Cov. That God would make w/ His people
- w/ all people who turned to Him
- A rest that would last - a rest that would be a state of Life - a rest that wasnít found in a certain day or a place but in a PERSON
1) 3RD THING SEE - WHAT THIS REST PICTURED
The Sabbath was really a picture of the Ultimate REST that was to come thru Christ. -That was Established in the New Cov.
A) Jesus said in Matt. 11: 28 "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.29 "Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
30 "For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."
3 words in that verse summarize the Ultimate Rest we have in Christ.
- The Pharisees all said "Do!" and tried to make the people follow Moses and the traditions.
- But Jesus said "Come." To come to Him means to trust Him. to trust in what He did at Calvary - Sufficient for your salvation.
- Trust that thru what He did the work is done - finished & complete .
- This invitation is open to all those who are exhausted and burdened down. Both Jew & Gentile.
- Come speaks of Salvation Rest we have ceased from our trying to earn Godís favor - by following rules & Regulations
1) We have come to Christ - trusting in Christ alone .
Then Jesus said Take my yoke upon you & learn of me The word "Take." Speaks of deeper experience.
- When we come to Christ by faith, He gives us rest. When we take His yoke and learn, we find rest,
- that deeper rest of surrender and obedience. Submission rest -
- The first is "peace with God" the second is "the peace of God that comes from submitting to Him and following Him.
- To "take a yoke" in that day meant to become a disciple. When we submit to Christ, we are yoked to Him.
- The word "easy" means "well-fitting"; He has just the yoke that is tailor-made for our lives and needs.
D) And The burden of doing His will is not a heavy one (1 John 5:3).
The 3rd word that Jesus used there "Learn of me -speaks of the process of growing in the Lord & experiencing that rest .
- The more I learn about Him - the more I see Him - the more I catch His heart & understand - His love - easier it is to submit
- As we learn more about Him, we find a deeper peace, because we trust Him more.
- Life is simplified and unified around the person of Christ.
- Guys when you realize this - come to realize that Christian life is really simple . Not easy - but it is simple
- Resting in His finished work on the Cross for us & responding to what He did for us & His Spirit He has placed w/ in us
Trust in Jesus for you salvation - Relying upon His finished work
- Then understand that As you do that He fills you w/ His Spirit who speaks to your heart confirming the scriptures .
- H.S. will always confirm w/ me that which is in the word - People say the H.S. told me to do such & such - Where back it up in the word?
- He wonít contradict the scriptures
- So He speaks to us thru the word & confirms to us what is in the word & He has been sent to empower us to live that out.
- That is New Cov. Christianity - turn Ezk. 36
26 "I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.
27 "I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will keep My judgments and do them.
28 "Then you shall dwell in the land that I gave to your fathers; you shall be My people, and I will be your God.
In the Old Cov. Godís statues were written on tablets of stone that said DO THIS & DONíT DO THAT
- - but in the New Cov. Written on our hearts - How ? That is the work of the H.S. in our lives - saying do this - donít do that
- And if you are a believer you know that you have experienced the conviction of the H.S. speaking to you heart
- Temptation : That voice - donít go there - donít give into that
- He comes and challenges us concerning certain attitudes - Donít harbor that bitterness in your heart - give it to the Lord.
- What makes the Christian walk simple is you either respond or you donít
- if you donít you suffer the consequences of giving into to your flesh w/ all of itís fears & fleshly desires - DEAFEATED
- If you respond - He empowers you to carry out that action of resisting the temptation & doing the right thing.
- It is that simple - Choice we make - Gal. 5:16 Walk in the spirit & you will not fulfill the lust of the flesh.
- Walking in the Spirit is a decision I make Moment by moment - day by day. to Respond to the Leading of the spirit in my life - thru the word.
So guys says - My wife makes me so mad - I just canít stand it - so I get mad at her & I lose it. - Not true
- Because I can guarantee that if you are a believer - the H.S. was speaking to your heart long before that argument ever reached the breaking point
- Speaking - A soft answer turns away wrath
- See in Jesus we can now experience a total Sabbath rest - but it is an active rest - responding to the H.S. speaks to my heart - confirms in the word.
- That is Christianity in a nutshell
D) And after the Rez . of Christ & the birthing of the Church the Believers began to meet on the first day of the week - which was Sunday.
- Why ? Not Just because of Rez. - AWESOME
E) See in the Old Cov. Man had to work for 6 days before He could rest - 6 day work - work- work then rest . ( The way of the Law - the Old Cov. )
- but in the New Cov. - opposite - first day you rest -
- See first we are to realize the work that Christ has accomplished for us on the Cross at Calvary . ( he did what we couldnít - )
- So we are to rest & receive what He has done for us & celebrate the life that we have in Him
- And then once we have done that - we are to respond to what He did by working - by serving the Lord- doing good works for Him!
So the Sabbath day was really a picture of the Sabbath life that would come thru the New Cov. That Jesus would put into place.
- COMPLETE REST - BUT AN ACTIVE REST . Back Luke finish up
4TH THING WE WANT TO SEE IS THAT True wisdom means more than having Knowledge.
A) Now it is interesting that Jesus said have you not read - The Pharisees
knew that story -
- In fact they knew the O.T. so well that they could tell you how many letters were in the O.T. / and how many times each letter was used.
- They were sticklers for detail - so why did Jesus say have you not read - of course they had read.
- But like they so often did they missed the meaning.
- I suggest to you that is the danger that we can face today - especially we who are a part of Calvary Chapel.
- Because the Calvary movement - has been founded on the Principle that Pastor Chuck has so faithfully modeled all these yrs.
TEACH THE BIBLE - VERSE BY VERSE CHAPT. BY CHAPT.
- And when other Church groups were getting into this thing & to that thing - Chuck said we are not going to go there .
- this is what we are about - teaching the word. -
- So if you have been a part of any Calvary Chapel for a while - chances are you have studied through the whole Bible .
- You have been very well taught .
- Now we have a Bible college - 30 minutes a way. Great teachers - Radio station - where great studies - almost 24 hrs a day.
- Tape Libraries that you can get tapes to listen to - there is a wealth of info at our disposal - bookstore - study more
But there is a great danger of simply amassing information - of gaining knowledge - becoming more learned - yet not wiser
- Because wisdom is knowledge applied - Wisdom is not just knowing what the word says / not just knowing what a particular passage means
- But knowing how to apply that passage in my life .
- James said that we need to be more than hearers of the word we also need to be doers of the word.
- And this is the problem that I see w/ too many believers today. They know what Godís word says - but they donít apply it
- I see so many believers who are not walking in the Spirit - but are trying to achieve their Christianity in the Power of their own strength
- I see believers who make excuses for their sin or are trying to rationalize their sin - just the way that I am - Canít help it
- So I see people who struggle w/ the same things for yrs - guys that
simply shouldnít be the case
- If you are wrestling w/ the same problems in your Christian walk or in your marriage - or in friendships that you were 2 ,3 5, 10 yrs ago
- SOMETHING IS WRONG!!!!!
- See if you are not going forward in your walk w/ the Lord then you are going backwards - THERE IS NO STANDING STILL
- The writer of Hebrews declared in Ch. 5 that those who are growing in maturity in the Lord are those who have learned to use the word.
- See we learn in the New cov. In Christ - thru His spirits power in our lives that Godís commandments become Godís enablements
Exactly what we see illustrated in the final section. Last point
6 Now it happened on another Sabbath, also, that He entered the synagogue and taught. And a man was there whose right hand was withered.
7 So the scribes and Pharisees watched Him closely, whether He would heal on the Sabbath, that they might find an accusation against Him.
8 But He knew their thoughts, Listen you who feel withered today - paralyzed today - you who are struggling today
- No this that when Jesus comes into the meeting place - He is always drawn toward those who are hurting the most.
B) And the Pharisees knew this about Him - so they were watching to see what He would do. Would He heal this man on the Sabbath.
Jesus said to the man who had the withered hand, "Arise and stand here." And he arose and stood.
9 Then Jesus said to them, "I will ask you ( you who are watching me to find fault w/ me-) I will ask you one thing:
Is it lawful on the Sabbath to do good or to do evil, to save life or to destroy?"
10 And when He had looked around at them all, He said to the man, "Stretch out your hand." And he did so, and his hand was restored as whole as the other.
11 But they were filled with rage, and discussed with one another what they might do to Jesus.
Now check this out - Jesus told this man to do an impossible thing when He said Stretch out your hand - That was the problem - He couldnít do that.
- His hand was all shriveled up - And this guy could have argued - I canít
- But you see this is an illustration of what we have been talking about today - GODíS COMMANDMENTS ARE GODíS ENABLEMENTS
- With the command comes thru the Spirit - the power to carry out the command.
- Husbands love your wives - Now you can make excuses - you can say You donít know my wife
- Or you can believe that thru the power of the H.S working in your life He is going to give you all you need to carry that out.
Whatever the command is - He supplies the power - As we respond to the Spiritís leading & depend upon the spiritís strength.