1 Peter 1:13-16 A 3 Dimensional Life Style
A)In order to bring the picture into focus you had to wear the right eye wear - / Glasses cardboard frames / orange/Red Cellophane lenses
B) With out those glasses the picture was blurry and Nonsensical but w/ them the picture became clear /and compellingly real
1) Disneyland Honey we shrank ourselves Giant snake amazing
C) As Christians we live w/ a 3 Dimensional Perspective / the scriptures are our glasses that help bring this life into focus
1) Integrating the 3 Dimensions or the 3 Kingdoms to which every believer belongs
D) First there is the world or Kingdom around us this planet / our jobs / our friends / these fleshly bodies / all of which Present challenges
1)This world that we live in is marked by greed / unfairness / disappointment
E) This world is controlled by our adversary the Devil god of this world
1) He has an agenda program that is aimed at DESTRUCTION and
DISTRACTION / Distracting people of their need of God/ - DESTROY
A)A kingdom in which there will be no more pain / no more sorrow / no tears / a Kingdom marked by Beauty, Perfection & Ultimate Satisfaction
B) We are presently longing for that Kingdom longing for that day when we will enter into that perfect & complete rest & be w/ our Lord
1) Joy that is beyond anything we could ever experience in this life !!
But then there is this 3rd Kingdom the Kingdom with in
A)The Kingdom w/in our hearts where He who is the King of kings and the Lord of Lords is wanting to reign
B) Jesus made this statement in Luke 17:21 to His disciples that the Kingdom of God is with in You
1)Meaning that where ever the King is reigning there the Kingdom of God is
C) So when we allow Jesus to reign in our Lives He sets up His Kingdom w/ in our Hearts ( Makes our hearts His home)
D) As we align our hearts w/ His Heart thru studying His word He seeks to help us Navigate our way successfully in this world /
1) In a way that is Preparing us for the Kingdom that is to Come
E)So as Believers we are to be 3 Dimensional people Living in this world / Longing and Looking for that Kingdom that is to come
1) Finding the Balance & being affective by being submitted to the King has set up His Kingdom w/ in our Hearts / Directing our lives
Peter Brings these 3 Kingdoms or worlds together in this first Ch.
A)In v.3 He tells us that we have been begotten again to a Living Hope
Born again transferred into a New Kingdom out of Darkness / Light
B) Out of One Kingdom marked by Destruction & Despair into another that is marked by Hope Hope that is alive REZ
1) Living Hope Because He who rose is alive Living in Us !! as Paul declared Christ in you is your hope of Glory
1) And the Spirit of God who is w/ in us is constantly reminding us of that Glory that is to Come Eternity ( Home is )
D) Where we are going to receive an inheritance that is incorruptible / cant be defiled / unfading .
E) But in the mean time we are living in this world where we encounter trials / testings / where we are challenged & Pressed
1) But the Lord is using those things to Strengthen our faith in the Lord & Deepen our Love for the Lord !!
A)And the Presence of the King w/ in us Christ our Hope of Glory Our Living Hope should affect the way we think & the way we Live
B)Therefore Because Begotten again living hope / Inheritance / Great salvation that Prophets studied / Apostles Preach / Angels ..look into
1) GIRD UP THE LOINS OF ..MIND
B) This is a deliberately vivid phrase. In the east men wore long flowing robes which hindered fast progress or strenuous action.
C) But around their waist they wore a broad leather belt called girdle; and when they needed to move quickly or to work strenuously
1) they would shorten their long robe by pulling it up within the belt in order to give them freedom of movement.
D)To Gird up the loins of your mind simply means, Pull your thoughts together! Gather your thoughts together unto the Lord
1) taking every thought captive unto Christ
E)Gather your attitudes and outlooks and place them under JESUS
1) SO that you will be Free in your following after Christ not encumbered by other things that would distract you Pursuit
We might better understand what is meant by this if we Consider the Opposite Condition ( Opposite of Gathering up is Looseness/ Laxity
A)Some Christians are very Laxed & Loose in their thinking AND in their approach to life
B) Some are Laxed in their mentality as it relates to their faith (Smorgasbord of Theology) a little of this / little of that
1) What ever works whatever New wind is blowing thru the Church / they latch on to that
C) There is no firmness to their Doctrine but everything is very experiential experiences are more important than truth!!!
A)They think nothing of going to places where immoral behavior is promoted where Gods name is Blasphemed
B) Think nothing of sitting down to watch a movie that is going to show nudity / sex scene / vulgarity ( But it is such a good story)
1)READ YOUR BIBLE PLENTY OF GOOD STORIES
C) The internet today is a Plethora for the mind to engage in immorality
1) We continue to have women come forward Husbands into Porn. on the net - 4,000 new sites a day (BLOCKER)
D) Some how People rationalize such immoral behavior God is gracious He will forgive me to it is just not a Big deal
Isa.5:20 Described our Day -Woe to those who call evil good
and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness,
who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter.
Others are Loose or Lax in their Business dealings Dishonest in their approach / way they treat people / cut corners
What I find interesting about that story is those two men squirmed thru many a sermon but never Changed
A)Never girded up the Loins of their Mind by Repenting having a Change of mind that leads to a Change of Heart
B) Sad but many Christians do the same thing today feel conviction but never deal w/ it SURRENDER to the Lord
You cannot Change Your heart but you can change your mind God can Change your heart, but he wont Change your mind. But if Choose to Change your mind God will Change your heart
Been said that Outlook determines outcome; attitude determines action. A)A Christian who is looking for the glory of God has a greater motivation for present obedience than a Christian who ignores the Lords return.
B)The contrast is illustrated in the lives of Abraham and Lot (Gen. 12-13)
1)Abraham had his eyes of faith on that heavenly city, so he had no
interest in the worlds real estate.
C)But Lot, who had tasted the pleasures of the world in Egypt, gradually moved toward Sodom.
1) Abraham brought blessing to his home, but Lot brought judgment.
Outlook determined outcome.
J.S. Eternity When we are consumed with the reality of Heaven, Christ is free to Consume us on earth. When we realize that final gain is there and then we are free to live for Him here and Now
D) So Peter says Here is where it starts you gird up the Loins of your Mind Change the way that you think
1) See things from that Eternal / heavenly perspective Putting your thoughts in alignment w/ the King who lives inside
The 2nd thing that Peter says is Be sober Girding up the Loins of the mind dealt primarily about how we thought / rightly
A)The exhortation to BE SOBER speaks of How we Act !
B) Sober is the opposite of being intoxicated we have all seen people who were intoxicated by Alcohol or Drugs
1) We watched how it altered their behavior speech / their walk / their
ability to operate a motor Vehicle
People also can become intoxicated by their circumstances / their whole outlook is determined by what is going on
A) Their Lives controlled by emotions -their behavior is influenced by whatever emotion has control of them/ fear /Anxiety / Anger / Doubt / Depression
B) They are Literally intoxicated by their emotions & the way they think / talk / Act/ and deal w/ other people is Determined by that emotion
1) Some are Drunk w/ Anger always uptight about something it comes
out in their speech / Negative / cutting / abusive / degrading
C) For Others it is worry / Anxiety always freaking out over things / never relaxed always analyzing every situation
1) They constantly are playing the what if games
D) These people were under going great persecution / by exhorting them to be Sober Peter was saying Dont be drunk by fear/ anxiety or revenge
1) Dont allow those emotions to control your outlook or your actions
rest your hope fully upon the grace that is to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;
Freaking out over this or that REST
A)Rest in the hope that is yours in Christ !!!!
B) In other words Keep looking towards your Glorification
1) Someone once said When the Outlook is Bad try the Up look
as obedient children Lit As Children of Obedience speaks more of Who we are not something that we do
, not conforming yourselves to the former lusts, as in your ignorance; 15but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, 16because it is written, Be holy, for I am holy.£
B) Before you knew Christ think about all the stupid things that your did things that you thought were going to make you happy
1) Things that you Bought / Pursued / clothes that you wore
C) Peter says dont fashion your lives after those things But Because You are Gods Children You have His Nature /
1) Act Like it by fashioning your life after HOLINESS / nature of parent
A)Now a lot of people have the wrong idea about the Word Holy !!
Many associate it with some kind of grimness.
B)They think of "holy" people as those who look as if they have sucked a Lemon / or have the bit into a rotten apple!!!
1) Like the little girl who happened to see a mule looking over a fence at her. She had never seen a mule before, and she said to it,
"I don't know what you are, but you must be a Christian -- you look just like Grandpa."
C) HOLINESS SPEAKS OF TWO THINGS PRIMARILY
1ST If you want to get at the meaning of this word you must go back to its original root.
A)This word is derived from the same root from which a very attractive English word comes. This is the word "wholeness."
B) That is a Good Description - wholeness, being complete/ It is to have together all the parts which were intended to be there,
1) and to have them functioning as they were intended to function.
C)God is complete; He is perfect. There is no blemish in God; He lives in harmony with Himself.
1) He is a beautiful / He is filled with joy and love and peace. He lives in
D)That word, wholeness, has power to awaken desire within us. We long to be whole people
1) We are so aware of our own brokenness, of our lack of wholeness.
We know how much we hurt ourselves and each other. We are aware of our inability to cope with life.
A)We sometimes put up a big facade and try to bluff our way through as though we are able to handle anything.
B) But inside, half the time, we are running scared. That is a mark of our lack of wholeness.
1)Man has lost his way. He was made in the image and likeness of God.
C)When man first came from the hand of God he was whole. Adam functioned as God intended man to function.
1) He was functioning in the image and the likeness of God. But now we have lost that likeness. We still have the image, but the likeness is gone.
D)God determined to heal man's brokenness and to make man whole again.
1) Sent His Son pay the price for sinners ( Holy)
Holiness means something more than the sweeping away of the old leaves of sin; it means the life of Jesus developed in us.
B) 2nd Def. =Be Different The word for holy is hagios whose root meaning is different.
C)The Temple is hagios because it is different from other buildings; the Sabbath is hagios because it is different from other days;
1) the Christian is hagios / because he is different from other men.
D) He has been bought w/ a Price / Redeemed / New Creation / Part of a New Kingdom
1) He is different in His thinking He is different in His Passions & Pursuits / He is different in his PRIORITIES
E)Those differences are going to be measured in the way that He lives His
A holy life will produce the deepest impression. Lighthouses blow no horns; they only shine.
Dwight Lyman Moody (1837-1899)
The greatest miracle that God can do today is to take an unholy man out of an unholy world, and make that man holy and put him back into that unholy world and keep him holy in it.
Leonard Ravenhill (1867-1942)